The best way to start the admissions process is with a phone call to our school office at (808) 982-7701. We are happy to discuss our school with you, to determine if it is the right option for your child and your family. We welcome you to visit our beautiful campus by either calling to schedule a tour or by attending one of our Open Houses, Festivals, or Community Events. Visit our School Calendar. Also visit our FAQs for more information about Waldorf Education.
Education at a true independent Waldorf school is possible! Malamalama Waldorf School is committed to children and their families. A number of our families are able to attend our school because their tuition rates are adjusted to their need. Feel free to speak with us openly about your needs when you inquire. Visit Tuition Adjustment/Scholarship Program for more information or to apply.
After visiting our campus, or reviewing school information, interested families may apply to Malamalama Waldorf School by following the steps below. Before applying, please note our age requirements:
- Applicants for Kinderhale must be 3 years of age and able to use the bathroom independently by August 1st of the school year for which they are applying. Exceptions may be made for students who are 3 years of age after August 1st at the class teacher's discretion.
- Applicants for Grade 1 must be 6 years of age by August 1st of the school year they’re applying for.
- Applicants for Grades 2 through 8 must be age appropriate for the grades for which they are applying.
If Malamalama Waldorf School is a school of choice for your child, please fill out an application (see link to Application Packet above) and send it in with the $50 application fee. A completed application includes:
- Completed Application for Admission Form
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Copies of applicant's academic record including transcripts, narratives or report cards for all previous years of school attended (this is optional for Early childhood applicants).
- Special Needs Applicants: While Malamalama Waldorf School is open to children with all types of learning styles, there are no formal special education services. Therefore, the school may not be able to meet thelearning needs of all children.
- All required enrollment documents enclosed in the Enrollment Packet.
- Completed Health Record (DOE Form 14) or appointment slip for future physical examination.
- Proof of negative (Mantoux) sTB test, within one year prior of entrance into school in the State of Hawai"i.
- Fees: Enrollment Fee is non-refundable and due upon submission of Enrollment Contract.
- Tuition & Deposit: A tuition down payment (for Grades 10-month payment plan)or tuition deposit is due upon enrollment. All tuition payment plans, with the exception of annual payment plan, are required to participate in FACTS Tuition Management Program. All payments will automatically be deducted from checking, savings or credit card accounts. Students may not attend until their family is signed up with FACTS or a lump sum payment is made.
Following review of the completed application, the class teacher or enrollment coordinator will arrange an interview with the applicant and parent/guardian. At this time, an academic assessment will take place for Grades 1-8 applicants,and a developmental assessment for Kinderhale applicants will take place.
Acceptance is determined by the individual teachers. Should you disagree with their decision, you may contact the Administrative Chair for an appeal. Following the initial interview, the applicant may be invited for a three-day visit. During this visit, the applicant will be expected to participate fully in the class for which they are applying.
The class teacher or school office will inform your family of your child's admissions status. Upon acceptance, you will be presented with an enrollment packet containing all of the necessary paperwork and information required to enroll your child. Prior to the student’s first day of school, the following must be provided:
FACTS Online Enrollment
Once enrolled, families, except those making an annual lump sum payment, must sign-up for automatic tuition payments through FACTS Tuition Management. To sign up online, click here.
Tuition Adjustment/Scholarship Program
Once your child is enrolled, your Tuition Adjustment/Scholarship Application will be processed.
Once the enrollment process is complete, the student will be granted an Office Release Pass allowing the student to begin attending school.
Please note: The faculty reserves the right to enroll students for a probationary period. The faculty reserves the right to dismiss or require the withdrawal of any student at any time, as outlined in the Student/Parent Handbook, including but not limited to the behavior or conduct determined to be contrary to the rules of the class and the school. Those students who are dismissed during this probationary period will be charged for tuition and fees accordingly.
Notice of Non-Discrimination: Malamalama Waldorf School is a non-profit 501(c)(3) and admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin, gender, religion, physical ability, or family status to all rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, gender, religion, physical ability, or family status in administration of its educational policies, admission policies, scholarship and tuition aid programs, athletic, and other school-administered programs.